Sunday, February 11, 2024

Sunday Supper - Spicy Bok choy

Well this isn't the best way to kick off the return of Sunday Suppers because I forgot to take a photo, but it was good and I want a record of what I did so I can make it again sometime soon so...

But first, a little backstory.  You know how I like to make a short story long. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Last year, I decided to get healthy, or at least eat super healthy.  Well, super healthy compared to the way I'd been eating.  I sort of became one of those annoying people who talk about calories and fat grams and the number of carbs in foods.  I was annoying, but felt great!  Then I went to the doctor for my six month blood work and all my numbers came back even worse.  I pretty much said "'ef it" and went back to eating ice cream and potato chips.  

While my tastebuds may love chips and ice cream, my body doesn't.  I can tell a difference in how I feel, and even how my brain doesn't function as well on all the salt and sugar. So screw the bloodwork numbers.  I'm going to eat what physically makes me feel good.  I'm back to eating healthy foods.  Healthy foods plus a little more bread than I should probably have.  Whatever. 

Anyway, I'm trying to incorporate more vegetables into my diet. And I recently discovered bok choy.  I think in my two years cashiering at the grocery store, only three people have bought it, but one of those three was going on about how versatile it is and how good it is for you so... I've been experimenting with bok choy recipes.

My newest creation I'm calling Spicy Bok Choy.  I thought it was delicious, and super simple.  

Spicy Bok Choy

Mexican Chorizo
2 large carrots
1 large bunch of bok choy
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp olive oil

Heat olive oil in a large pot and add Chorio.  
Grate the carrots and add to pot.
Slice bok choy thinly and add to pot.
Add chicken broth and cover.
Stirring frequently, cook until bok choy is softened.

I'd never cooked with Chorizo before but yum!  It's another one of those things I kept seeing people buy, but I'd never tried.  I think I'll be adding it to a lot of dishes in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! I eat bok choy and all kinds of cabbages. I make a tofu stir fry at least once a week with it. It's my go to "I ate half a bag of chips over the weekend" penance but I do really like tofu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really puzzled how you could be eating better but your bloodwork could come back worse -- that just doesn't make sense! But I'm glad that you at least feel better when you eat healthy food. We haven't made it in a while, but we were on a kick with bok choy at one time and make it really simply -- heat up a little olive oil in a pan with garlic and red pepper flakes and then saute bok choy cut in half lengthwise. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound easy and good. Will have to try it. As for my bloodwork, all I can think is I replaced all the junk food snacks with grapes and a few other sweeter fruits. I've heard others say they have to be super careful with sugar from fruit.

      Delete