Friday, November 11, 2022

Tragedy

 Tragedy has struck.


This giant box of yarn arrived...


On the same day this happened.

Yes, I am such a klutz, I managed to fracture my thumb while laying in the bed.  I put my hand up over my head and drove my thumb straight-on into the wall and fractured it.  

I really need to come up with a more exciting and less embarrassing story.  But then, how many people can claim to have broken a bone while sleeping?


The tragedy is that I can't knit with my thumb like it is.  I'm happy that it doesn't hurt that much (as long as I don't bump it on something, which does seem to happen 1,000 times a day.  Have I mentioned what a klutz I am?)  But despite being mostly pain-free, I can't bend it or move it towards my pinky so I can't grip anything.  

I know opposable thumbs are important, but I never really realized just how important.  I can't even put my hair in a ponytail and it takes me an extra 15 minutes to unbutton/button my pants.  And worse, I have to take my shirt all the way off in order to remove my bra. 

No knitting and no easy bra removal.  It truely is a tragedy!

 Sadly but thankfully, I can still scan gallons of milk and cases of beer and my grocery store customers have been very understanding and helpful, so I'm still functioning fairly well at work.  I'd rather be able to knit but...  At least I'm not sitting at home, bored out of my mind and twiddling one thumb.

Meanwhile, the giant box of yarn I can't currently use was packed with a Rainbow Hue Shift pack of Brava.


And a mini pack of Rainbow Brava.

I'm sure you've all seen the Hue Shift afghan and that's what I intend my Hue Shift pack to turn into.  As for the mini's, I'm going to knit Stephen West's Garter Squish blanket.  I can't wait to get started.  I'm thinking that the next time I re-wrap my thumb, I'll tape a knitting needle in there between my thumb and the brace.  That ought to work, right?

I'm supposed to wear the brace for three weeks.  

As of typing this, three days of no knitting down, eighteen more to go.  Wish me luck!  Really, you should wish my family luck.  I can't imagine what my mood will be after 21 days of no knitting.  There could be some serious trouble ahead.





4 comments:

  1. That truly is a tragedy! I hope this knitting-less time passes quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Hope this ordeal will be over soon. The yarn is pretty though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch! I slammed mine in a car door and had to have a procedure where they drilled through my nail-twice to relieve the pressure. I was in one of those braces for almost 6 months and did learn to knit with it on. It took me a while to get the hang of it but I finished a giant lace advent scarf. Feel better soon!
    Beautiful yarn btw....if all you get to do is look at it for a while....it would be enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. May you heal fast!! I cannot believe this happened to you...ugh!

    ReplyDelete