Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Christmas knitting

Remember the scarf for the eight year old?  Well, I finished it.  And even blocked it!  Then promptly packed it up and put it away in the Christmas gift box.  Notice a missing step there?  Yep!  I completely forgot to take a photo of the finished scarf.  Oops!  Maybe my great niece will send me one after Christmas.


I quickly moved on to knitting a hat for her younger brother.  Not to be left out, he's getting "special" yarn too.  I'm using some fingering weight superwash merino from Neighborhood Fiber Co.  This yarn had also been in my stash for a while.

I'm pretty excited about my Christmas knitting all coming from my stash.  Well, okay, I bought a few skeins of Wool of the Andes from Knit Picks back in the late summer with the intention of maybe knitting the Smitten mittens but I hadn't even printed the pattern at that point.  There was nothing firm in my plan and honestly, I was thinking of knitting socks, not mittens.  Because the yarn sat in my stash pile for more than two months, I don't count it as "new" yarn.  It's stashed yarn.  And that means every gift I've knit, or plan to knit, this year will be from my stash.  I'm pretty dang excited about that!

As for the Smitten mittens status, I've knit 24 so far.  Only 48 more to go.  I'm fairly certain I'm not going to make that goal.  99.9999999% sure of it in fact.  But I'll keep knitting anyway.  Maybe there'll be a Christmas miracle.

Meanwhile, I wish you all a happy Thanksgiving.  I'm so excited to not be excited about it this year.  We have a couple of dishes that we always serve that never get made the rest of the year and I'm always so excited thinking about the food.  But remember the new meds I'm on that take away my appetite?  Well, they are working!  Thankfully the over active butterflies in my belly have disappeared and I'm feeling pretty good.  And not the least bit hungry.  Well, that's not true.  I do feel hungry occasionally, but a very small portion fills me up.  And I'm not craving all things sweet and carb filled.  All I really want is raw green vegetables which is VERY, very not typical for me.  While I am looking forward to that turkey sandwich on Friday, just the thought of all the Thanksgiving food is kind of making me queasy.  It's pretty cool and quite exciting.   It's going to be interesting to see how I actually do on the day.  


Happy Thanksgiving!

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely shade of green! That's going to be One Fine Hat! :-) I'm so glad you're feeling better with your new meds, and I do hope you'll be able to enjoy some of the "treats" you usually enjoy from Thanksgiving (albeit in smaller portions!). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That green is gorgeous! I'm glad to hear that the meds are working. You know, craving green vegetables isn't a bad thing -- they're very good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are feeling better. Nothing wrong with taking it easy over the holiday. Ours will have a few of are favorites, but not the all week cook fest it has been in years past.

    Of course, Tom Turkey will still make an appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a pretty, pretty yarn. I just got my Knit Picks order today for the Christmas sweater I have yet to begin! I want to finish those advent socks first.
    I'm glad you're feeling better and the medication is helping. I keep gaining weight which I can't quite figure out because I'm not eating much at all. Oh well.
    Take care and happy knitting.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for knitting from stash! I am set for that, if only I found time to knit! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you have done great with stash. And with your health!!! ITs difficult I commend you.
    Happy Thanksgiving. I love that green yarn. The shading slightly of it is lovely.

    ReplyDelete