Thursday, November 12, 2020

Three on Thursday - Happy Things

 Three things that are making me happy this week.



1.  This Japanese maple is gorgeous and makes me happy every time I see it.  Except when I glance at it through the little window in the door and think the house is on fire.  

The tree doesn't look that great in the photo.  It was extremely foggy and three minutes from flooding rains when I took the picture.  You'll just have to trust me.  Actually, it's so bright, you may be able to see the glow from your house.

2.  Victoza.  Several of you asked about and/or commented on my weight loss medicine.  It's actually a blood sugar medication but it also makes you loose weight by removing your appetite.  And it helps with cholesterol.  After taking it for almost two full weeks, I think the way it works is that it makes you so queasy, you don't eat so you 1) don't get blood sugar spikes, 2) don't want a bunch of fatty foods so your cholesterol drops and 3) you don't eat because you feel like barfing 23/7 so you automatically loose weight.  But really, it's not that bad.  The queasiness is a weird mixture of feeling hungry, having to go to the bathroom, queasiness and having MASSIVE butterflies.  You know that feeling of finding a certified letter from the IRS in your mailbox?  Or your doorbell rings and you find a policeman standing on your porch?  Yeah, those are the kinds of butterflies.  But really, it's okay.  

I'll gladly have butterflies for the results I'm getting.  From the first of April to mid October, with daily exercise and watching what I ate, I lost ten pounds.  But with Victoza, in eleven days, I've lost eight pounds.  And really, for the last four or five days, I only feel nauseous for a total of about four or five hours a day.  I have high hopes that by this time next week, the butterflies will have all flown away.

(And before y'all get worked up about the weight loss, yes, I'm still eating.  I'm just eating a lot less.  I'm not hungry so I don't need to eat a giant plate full of mashed potatoes.  I'm happy to eat a plate full (a much smaller plate, I might add) of vegetables instead.  I'm also aware there could be some unpleasant side affects.  The doctor and I will both keep a look out for signs of a problem.  And, the medicine is not a long term plan for me.)


3.  I really, really need to remember to take photos in the daylight instead of waiting until the night before I need a blog post.

Mountain Colors yarn.  Oh!  My! Goodness!  This yarn is pure, unadulterated bliss.   These two skeins are from the Twizzlefoot line in Summertime and Big Sky.  I'm holding the two skeins together to knit a modified Simple Yet Effective shawl for my niece.  No wait.  She's a great niece.  Damn, I am old!

If I'm honest, I'm having a hard time believing I'm using this yarn (two skeins of it!) to knit a scarf for an eight year old.  But I'm trying this new thing where I don't hoard my yarn and save it for "something special."  Besides, my great niece is pretty special.  It's just that she's only eight.  

But luckily, eight year olds are fairly small so the scarf won't have to be huge and I'm hoping there'll be enough left over to knit myself a cowl or some fingerless mitts.  If not, I guess I'll just have to buy some more.  Pity.


10 comments:

  1. That yarn looks amazing. I had to laugh at the knitting for an 8 year old comments. That's how I feel about knitting for my son and he's 40. He's always asking for things but I am still not convinced he is actually knit worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear the medication seems to be working, and I hope that your body adjusts to it soon so you can get rid of the queasiness and butterflies. I also hope that 8-year-old appreciates the scarf knit from that beautiful yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Japanese maples are one of my favorite trees...probably because they remind me of my Dad. My parents have moved a LOT, and in every garden, he has planted a lilac and a Japanese maple. You don't see many of them in Colorado, so whenever I do (usually in a Garden with a capital G that has a staff and volunteers!), I'm grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love watching Japanese maples turn BRILLIANT in the fall! Sadly, all the leaves on mine fell off during a big storm on Tuesday night. Sigh. Oh, well. There's always next year! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss our Japanese maple that I had in our yard. It was always brilliant in the fall. Thanks for sharing yours.
    That yarn is spectacular! I know what you mean, but some kids are VERY knit-worthy. Piper loves the things I make for her and wears they all of the time. Maybe your great-niece will be the same. :-)
    I'm sorry about the med side-effects and I'm hoping they go completely away soon for you. It sounds like you're having great results.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't take the queasiness! I am so not good at nausea. Hope it subsidies for you. Love the yarn

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Japanese Maple is beautiful and the yarn looks like a spectacular combination. I like the idea of not hoarding "special" yarn. If the pandemic reminds me of any thing, it is that each day is a gift and to enjoy everything it brings - including the best yarns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the yarn. I have alway s loved Mountain Colors. The first knit shop I ever went into had it and it drew me right to it

      Delete
  8. the tree is gorgeous and so is the wool! lovely colors to gaze upon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. curious as to what the side effects of this medication are?

    ReplyDelete