Thursday, September 24, 2020

Three on Thursday - Socks

 Socktober is fast approaching and I've been putting a lot of thought into it lately.  I desperately need some new socks.  I have no desire to knit them, but I need them.  I knit so many socks years and years ago that I have to absolutely force myself to knit them now.  But, I have giant boat-feet with super wide toes and very narrow heels and women's socks are too short and men's are too wide and, well, I just have to knit my own if I want them to fit.

So, I have spent most of September trying to amp myself up and get myself excited about sock knitting for a full month.  I have lots of plans, but you know what they say about making plans...  

We'll just have to see how it goes.  

Because my goal is lots of socks in a short amount of time, I want them to be fairly plain, with not too much patterning.  But while I don't want much patterning, I also think I'll go bananas from boredom if I try to knit nothing but vanilla socks.  So, some of the simple patterns I'm considering are...


Skyp Socks from Adrienne Ku.  There's just enough texture there to keep me from loosing my mind but not so much that I have to constantly look at a pattern.  They also look like they'd be easy to modify the foot length to accommodate my giant snow ski sized feet.


These are Vanilla Latte Socks and they look even easier.


And you can never go wrong with anything designed by Tincan Knits.  These are called Rye socks and the pattern is for toddlers all the way through adults.  

Oh, and did I mention, all three of these patterns are free on Ravelry? Yay!

I hope you'll enjoy at least one of these patterns whether you will be participating in Socktober or not.  And of course, I also hope you'll join me over at Carole's for Three on Thursday.

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this post, please share it with your friends on social media. Until next time, Happy Knitting!


9 comments:

  1. If you're looking to speed things up, I highly recommend sport weight sock yarn. I'm using it for a pair of socks for my sister-in-law right now (she has feet that are 9.25 in. around and 9.5 in. long), and they're speedy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choices in patterns. Also Petty Harbor and Hermione's Everyday Socks are good ones and free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all lovely. I admire folks that can knit patterned socks. I confess to only doing plain vanilla. I just don't have the patience for fiddly little things anymore. If it is going to be fiddly it has to be big...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great sock patterns/ideas! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are great choices, I especially like the first ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those socks are too pretty to put inside shoes! I love a good pair of socks. If I ever knit again, that's what I'm going to try. I am definitely a fan of short-term gratification these days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved knitting socks when I was knitting them. Hate knitting socks now that I no longer love knitting them. Sounds reasonable, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. All very nice patterns. I just started a pair this afternoon. Just began the cuff and haven't decided a pattern as yet. Only a few rows to go before I HAVE to make up my mind.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have (I think) 4 single socks knit that need partners. Guess what I hope to do in Soctober?

    ReplyDelete