Sunday, May 31, 2020

Sunday Super - Caprese Skewers

I mentioned the other day that I've recently been diagnosed with Hashimoto's and one of the foods on the Do Not Eat list is tomatoes.

Summer appetizer recipe includes tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. #cookingfromscratch
Caprese Skewers from inquiringchef.com
My first thought when I saw that was, "Wow! That's going to be tough.  Getting through a summer without eating a Hanover tomato is just plain wrong!"  But I want to be healthy so I vowed to try.  The next day, I glanced in the pantry and saw all the tomato based products in there and well, my new plan is to pretend I never saw the Do Not Eat list. 

Nope!  Never saw it!

So, tonight's appetizer.... Caprese skewers.  They won't be made with Hanover tomatoes, it's still way to early for them.  But the one thing our grocery store has had in stock throughout this pandemic is cherry tomatoes.  And in my book, it doesn't get much better than tomatoes and mozzarella on a hot summer evening.

6 comments:

  1. Bleh, tomatoes and I do not mix, unless it's tomato sauce! Or diced tomatoes in my chili. But cold, raw tomatoes, nope, nil, nada, no way!! Good luck in your new food journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have given me SUCH a good idea for supper tonight. :-)

    I have Hashimoto's as well. But, I didn't know you shouldn't eat tomatoes. Can you tell me a bit more?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that about tomatoes and Hashimoto's. I can't eat raw tomatoes, I think it's the acid. I can eat them however, on sandwiches or cooked. I used to love them freshly picked from the garden and sliced. I don't even bother to grow them anymore. The temptation is too much for me.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm....they do look yummy!!! I would take all that and chop it up and put it on a piece of toasted baguette drizzled with olive oil. Now that's all I am going to think of all night. lol..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tomatoes are one of my favorite things to eat in the summer, especially with fresh mozzarella and basil! I had no idea they were a no-no for Hashimoto's. I did a quick google and it looks like the issue is compounds in nightshades. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look delish. I would have such a hard time with that diet - so much you have to avoid!!!

    ReplyDelete