Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Singing September's Praise

Ahhhh..... September!

It may be going back up to the mid 90's later this week but right now, and for the past few days, it's been in the 80's.  Praise September!

Labor Day has passed which means my job is a weekends-only thing for the next two months.  Yesterday was the beginning of four days off for me.  Four days in a row!  Four whole days!  Praise September!

September means the grocery store aisles will be packed with candy corn. Yay!!

September means fall and fall means knitting season.  Okay, every day of the year is knitting season but September marks the beginning of serious knitting season.   To honor the beginning of the new season, I started a new scarf/shawl/stole thing.

hand knit blanket scarf in garter stitch stripes of fall colors.
Autumn Fire

My camera hates the color red and the photo doesn't do it justice.

The plan is for this newest project to be a stole style shawl/blanket scarf type of thing. I cast on a gazillion stitches and for the width, I plan to knit stripes until I run out of yarn.  We'll see how that plan goes. I've got twenty skeins of Knit Picks' Palette in the Fire Opal color group.  There's no stripe pattern going on. I just keep the 'to use' and 'used' skeins separate.  Once I've used them all, I start over.  I've knit several others (this one and this one for example) in the past.  I think this one is going to be my favorite by far.  I absolutely love the mix of firey reds, golds and browns. I'm calling this scarf Autumn Fire.  It's the perfect project to kick off September's knitting season.

All that garter stitch involved in Autumn Fire also makes it the perfect project to knit while reading.  At the moment, I'm reading Fallen by Lauren Kate.  One of Ginny's fellow Yarn Along participants recommended it to me a week or so ago.  I'm hoping that with four days off this week (thank you, September!) I'll be able to get lots of reading done.  Reading and knitting.  It is after all, knitting season!

4 comments:

  1. Perfect color for fall - definitely reminds me of candy corn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors of your scarf/shawl thingamajig! Very fall-ish. I don't know how you manage to read and knit at the same time -- you must have great multitasking skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I can only knit and read. I can't purl or do any kind of patterning. But give me stockinette in the round or flat garter stitch and I'm good to go. I think it's a muscle memory thing.

      Delete