Friday, February 6, 2015

Fiber Friday - Woven Gems

I am in love!

Woven Gems Prime Alpaca Peruvian Tweed

I have a new favorite yarn.  Woven Gems Alpaca Peruvian Tweed.  I would marry this yarn if it was legal in the state of Virginia.


I picked this yarn up at the Montpelier Fiber Festival this past fall.  It was a spur of the moment, once-I-touched-it-I-had-to-have-it purchase.  It is THE softest, most petable yarn I've ever knit with.  I'm in love!

The single skein contains 600 yards so it should make a decent sized infinity scarf.

#todayonmyneedles

I've only just begun but I know I'm going enjoy the project.  Part of me wants to lock myself in a closet with no distractions and just knit, knit, knit and part of me wants to limit myself to one row per day to make the yarn last.  Have I mentioned how much I love petting this yarn?

Another thing about this yarn that makes me happy is its tweedy affect.  I rarely like tweed yarns.  Actually, that's not true.  I love tweed yarn, just not the fiber tweed yarn creates.  I'm drawn to the colors in tweed yarns, but am very rarely pleased with the messy mush of colored fabric they create.  But this, I love.

My only problem is, I sort of want to add beads.  From the moment the yarn was put into my shopping bag, I've been thinking beaded scarf.  I even have the perfect silver beads in the bead drawer.  But when I swatched, I decided the tweed was too busy for beads, plus, the beads would make hard little bumps in the softness of the yarn.  So I made the decision not to bead.  But now....  I keep thinking about those silver beads.  Should I rip it out & start over using beads?  Or should I just keep knitting?  Ugh!  I hate decisions.  

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you love the alpaca yarn, it is really wonderful to knit with. I am so glad you found me at Montpelier Fiber Festival if you need more you can find me at www,wovengems.com

    ReplyDelete