Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Knitting with birds

So, last summer, there was a carpenter bee (I have always called them bumble bees and have just recently found out they are two separate beings) that would come say hello to me every day when I was sitting on the deck.  We got so used to each other that he would land on me and crawl around and I was mostly okay with it.  He even took a nap in my knitting bag a few times.  

This summer, I don't have a bee friend.  Instead, I have goldfinch and hummingbird friends.


Yeah, he's very pixilated.  Sorry.  We are friends, but it's a new friendship.  He comes to see me each morning but he doesn't trust me enough yet to allow me to get a decent photo.

I can't even begin to get a photo of the hummingbird.  Every afternoon he flys up about two feet from my face, hovers just long enough for me to realize what's happening, and then he's gone again.  

I am really going to miss the wildlife here at this house when we move.  And no, we don't know so when that will be but it will be soon.  Well, soon-ish.  We are feverishly working to clear out all the junk from the house and fixing the things that need to be fixed so we can put it on the market.  And once that happens, our search to find a house to buy will turn into panic mode house hunting.  I can't say I'm looking forward to the experience. 

Thankfully, I have my knitting to keep my mind occupied.


And boy do I have knitting!  I finished the granny square baby blanket.  It's being modeled on the new deck railing.  I finished the blanket much sooner than expected.  I sort of went into knitting panic mode because...

I thought I'd mentioned that I was going to be a craft vendor at Winterfest this year but I don't see a post about it so I'm not sure if I never wrote it or if I deleted it some how or if it's there and I'm just blind.  Who knows.  Who cares.  The point is, I'm going to be a craft vendor at Winterfest this year.  I am excited and I am in TOTAL panic mode.  I've never participated in such a big event before and I'm slightly terrified.  But also very excited.  And very, very busy knitting for it.


Currently, I'm focused on knitting faux fur cowls and headbands.  I should have chosen something else to focus on during the summer months but I already had most of the yarn I needed and the projects knit up fast.  I wanted to quickly feel like I was making progress.  ...So, I'm slogging through knitting with faux fur in July and August.


I'll be sharing the Winterfest booth with several other artists and to get some practice working together, we participated in Ashland, Va's 4th Friday celebration last week.  Even though we didn't sign up in time to be advertised, we still had a decent amount of foot traffic and sales.  

In fact, 4th Friday was so much fun, we've decided to participate each month leading up to Winterfest.  If you are local, come check us out.  We have a nice, varied selection of items for sale because we have a jeweler, a seamstress, a paper artist, an all round crafter and my knitting.  There's something for everyone and it's never too early to start your holiday shopping!



Meanwhile, I have a few thousand items I need to go knit. 




5 comments:

  1. How exciting for you! I always daydream about having a table at our local Farmers Market/Craft Fair where I would sell the fruit of all my many hobbies. I would never do it though because I could never sit out in the heat like they do. I can barely walk through it to grab a few fresh veggies before running to my AC'd car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least those faux fur accessories are pretty fast to knit, right? I hope you don't burn yourself out -- remember to take breaks and to knit a little for pleasure, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always think I should try to sell some of my projects in order to recoup some of the yarn costs. And then I find another worthy charity to make things for.
    I spend most of my time doing that. I enjoyed reading about the wildlife and insects that come visit you. Obviously they don't feel threatened at all.
    Blessings
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that is exciting news, wish I lived closer to check it all out. I hope your bird friends become more tame!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy you had a good showing! Good luck with the house clearing and selling!

    ReplyDelete