Wednesday, January 3, 2018

When the yarn is silent

I'd planned on joining the #fringeandfriendslogalong KALand I'd planned out a log cabin-esque shawl/scarf and I'd wound the yarn and had it ready to go.  And then New Year's Day rolled around, the log cabin KAL started....  and I did not like what I was knitting.  I didn't like it at all.  And more importantly, the yarn didn't like it either.

So I frogged it.  And started over.  Started over without a definite plan.

I'm knitting something large but I don't know what because the yarn is silent and won't tell me what it wants to be.
The start of something big.

I started over holding two threads (lace weight) together.  I like the affect.  I'm creating a nice, squishy fabric and I LOVE the tweedy aspect the two yarns are providing.  Alone, each yarn is pretty, but combined....  Yes! I'm loving the color.

But what exactly am I knitting?  Is it going to be a long striped scarf that's a little too wide for a normal scarf but way too narrow for a decent stole type shawl?  Or will I amend the color changes slightly and attempt to create the original log cabin pattern I'd planned?

I can not decide and the yarn refuses to speak.

One thing I am sure of is that I'll finish reading Malice in Wonderland by Hiliary Latimer this week.  Maybe even tonight.  I thought I was going to absolutely LOVE this book.  It's a murder mystery that takes place at a fiber festival.  What's not to love about that?  Except that it turned into several male characters (boyfriends of other characters) who aren't supposed to know much about knitting, except that they do when it's convenient to the story line and their ability to solve the case.  And I guess it's possible that I missed something early on, but... Just about every character in the book hints that the dead guy was being blackmailed - but there's never any mention of him doing something to be blackmailed for.  It's very confusing/annoying.

Dog friendly romance. Books I am reading.
Good Guys Love Dogs

Once I finish Malice in Wonderland, my next book will be either Good Guys Love Dogs by Inglath Cooper or The Cabin by Natasha Preston.  I'm in the mood for fluffy romance, thus Good Guys Love Dogs.... but The Cabin would pair well with knitting a log cabin shawl.  I guess I'll just pray my yarn quickly breaks it's silence and tells me what it wants to be.

Books I am reading
The Cabin by Natasha Preston

To see what others are knitting and reading, follow me over to both As Kat Knits for #Unraveled Wednesday and Small Things for the 2018 version of Yarn Along.

7 comments:

  1. I love starting new books after I'm done grieving a good book finished. I don't mind frogging if what I'm making isn't working out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to frog the shawl I started and do it all over. I was so displeased. But it's much happier now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate when yarn doesn't cooperate! Doesn't it know we want nice and obvious patterns and it must conform!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. The yarn must be obeyed!! LOL

    The color combo IS lucious! I hope it speaks its mind soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was almost through knitting a shawl last year and then unraveled it and made a completely different one with that yarn. I'm glad I did because I probably would never have worn the first one. The yarn does seem to have a mind of its own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that the color combo looks great. I'm sure it will figure itself out soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad you listened y]to yourself and the yarn, it usually knows what it wants to be. Those books look wonderful, enjoy.

    ReplyDelete