Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Shed a tear

Well, it's official.

knit picks honeycomb sweater knit from dove heather wool of the andes <a href="http://shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=751587&u=1446317&m=59159&urllink=&afftrack=">Wool of the Andes Superwash</a>
Honeycomb Sweater

My Honeycomb Sweater is no longer a sweater.

Dove heather wool of the andes <a href="http://shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=751587&u=1446317&m=59159&urllink=&afftrack=">Wool of the Andes Superwash</a>
from sweater to pillow

I bit the big gauge bullet this morning and the sweater is now a pillow.

turned a honeycomb sweater into a pillow.  http://shrsl.com/qxde
Honeycomb Pillow

I'll admit, I shed a tiny tear when I took that first stitch with the sewing needle.  I really, really like the Honeycomb sweater pattern and I hated to give up on it.  I'm also not (more like NOT) happy about the recent weight gain but even without the extra weight, the sweater wasn't going to fit.  I knew it last year when I was actively knitting the sweater.  I just didn't want to admit it.

Anyway, I'm now the proud owner of a Honeycomb pillow.  I decided to leave the waistband ribbing on when I was sewing it.  It's a permanent reminder to check my gauge and that while blocking can perform magic, blocking will never make me a size 2.  I have to admit, as much as I hated giving up on the sweater turning it into a pillow and checking it off my To-Do list was fairly exhilarating.  It feels like a giant load has been lifted from my shoulders.  I think that I may have spent the past year subconsciously worrying and stressing about the fit of the sweater.  It feels terrific to have it done, even if 'done' means it's a pillow instead of a sweater.

My only worry now is, what shall I knit with the gazillion leftover skeins of Dove gray yarn?


I'm linking up with Frontier Dreams for today's #CraftingOn.

11 comments:

  1. What a clever way to salvage all that knitting! The sweater-pillow looks GREAT. (And I imagine you'll have no trouble figuring out another project for that yarn.) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you're right about the left over yarn. No body needs that many gray hats! (Hats are my go-to, I can't be bothered to decide what to use this yarn for project.)

      Delete
  2. I LOVE the pillow! I've toyed with the idea of knitting a pillow and now I may have to. I'm sure you will find a project for the other skeins!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. I just hope I don't end up turning every future sweater into a pillow. :)

      Delete
  3. It's beautiful! I have a pattern for a real knit pillow that I am thinking I need to just get on and knit it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have a few pillow patterns on the Someday list that may get moved to the To-Do list so that this one won't be so lonely.

      Delete
  4. I love the pillow it is beautiful, so glad you could find someway to use what you had knitted, rather than unravelling it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I'm very happy that I was able to do something with the sweater. No matter how bad the fit, I don't think I'd have had the heart to frog it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks beautiful as a pillow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Losing the sweater is sad, but if it won't fit it's no use saving it. I love the pillow, a great way to show off that beautiful honeycomb design.
    What to do with the rest of the yarn? Well, I would use it to knit hats... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see me finishing 2018 out with 48 gray hats (because I had 4 done before the sweater/pillow ordeal.) It could actually be very fitting with my name.

      Delete