Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Yarn Along Wednesday

I'm joining Ginny for Yarn Along Wednesday.

#yarnalong, reading Once is Enough and knitting a super scarf, Autumn Fire for https://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanniegrayknits
Once Is Enough & Autumn Fire

I've only advanced one and a half pages in my book, Once Is Enough so I'm not sure I can honestly say that I'm reading it.  But I am trying.  Okay, okay.  The book is laying on my bedside table.  Based on a random comment left on some other knitting blog (I don't even remember which one) I'm also reading Skulduggery Pleasant.  It's on my Kindle so I can read it at work so I'm making a little bit more progress on it.  Work has been pretty busy lately so I haven't had very much time to read there either.

And speaking of work.....  I think I've finally settled into the new job.  I've learned how to do what I'm supposed to be doing and other than the occasional radio code,  I don't have to look up how to do things anymore.  Being able to just do it instead of having to stop & find the directions for each little task is making the job much more enjoyable.  As for those radio codes... The radio & I will never be BFFs but I no longer break out into a cold sweat at the thought of having to use it.

But back to knitting....  My Autumn Fire scarf is growing.  Slowly.  Very, very slowly.  It's garter stitch on 430 stitches on US 2 needles and fingering weight yarn.  So yeah, slow is definitely the word.  I'm still loving the blend of fall colors though so I keep knitting.

I'm also trying my hand at weaving.  What I really want is a table loom (okay, what I really, really want is one of those huge, giant floor looms that takes up an entire room that you can weave bedspread sized things on) but what I got was a Martha Stewart Knitting & Weaving Loom Kit.

My first attempt weaving on a Martha Stewart knitting & weaving loom
Weaving  101

I've only used it once and the results are way too loose.  I obviously needed to use either double strands or bulky weight yarn.  But as a first time, practice piece, it didn't turn out too badly.  I'm going to try felting it & call it a coaster.  Meanwhile, if you are a weaver and want to offer opinions on table looms for beginners, I'm all ears.  I'd like to be make much larger things than the Martha Stewart loom can accommodate   Things like scarves, table runners and place-mats.  I'd also like to not spend a fortune until I know if I actually like weaving.

7 comments:

  1. so glad your job is going well, I cannot imagine trying to learn new things quickly without flipping out. Lovely knitting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh what did you use on your loom yarn or loops?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used some old scratchy wool that had been in my stash pile for ages. After felting, it's the perfect coaster size.

      Delete
  3. oh what a great idea .. is there a certain way to use yarn, I have only used loops. That would be nice gift ideas (for me) and others. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just followed the instructions in the loom kit. The weaving is basically the same as using the loops, it's just that the yarn is in one long, giant piece instead of individual loops.

      Delete
  4. oh, maybe I need to check out the loom kit ... I love the way you used yarn. Thank you

    ReplyDelete