Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Seasonally Challenged

I never seem to be knitting for the current season.  My knitting is seasonally challenged.

It's spring here in Virginia and we're actually having a spring.  It's the first time I can remember in my entire life where we actually had normal spring-like weather.  In past years, from the middle of March to early May it is either snowing or 85 degrees.  There's no inbetween.  Freezing cold or hot as blue blazes.  And days flip flop back and forth so that on Monday you're outside wearing flip flops and shorts and getting sunburned then on Tuesday, you're back in your warm woolen sweater with a fire in the fireplace.  But this year, we're actually having spring.

And spring feels like fall.  It's too chilly for short sleeves but I'm hot in a sweater.  And the rain!  Oh my gosh, we've had some rain.  All those memes about Prince and purple rain.... well, it literally began raining the day Prince died and it hasn't stopped since.  It feels like fall, not spring.

Golden maple leaves in fall. Hand knit cowl for https://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanniegrayknits
Autumn Cowl

So I'm knitting for fall.  This cowl is the same multi-colored style as the Make Believe cowl I knit for my daughter last year.  My original plan was to use a matching green for the solid color, but the boldness of the self-striping yarn reminded me of maple leaves in fall so I decided to use brown to represent the tree trunk.

photo borrowed from www.dansokb.top
Autumn maple tree, www.danasokb.top


 I borrowed this photo from Google Images for inspiration.



And, since it's Wednesday and I've set a goal for myself to participate in the weekly Yarn Along that Ginny over at Small Things hosts....  I'll mention what I'm reading.  I'm queen of the 99 cent Kindle books and this week's choice is Sweet Southern Trouble written by Heather McGhee.  I'm only 17% into it according to my Kindle so I can't tell you much about it other than that it's the story of a big city girl meets small town cop and so far, I'm enjoying it.  And I have to say, this fallish spring weather we've been having is perfect for reading & knitting while curled up in a comfy chair.

2 comments:

  1. It's probably smart to work on something for fall now! After all, you know it's coming eventually, and then you don't have to worry about finishing it after the season has come and gone. The colours you chose look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wasn't sure the brown wasn't too much of a contrast at first but I've decided I like it. It tones down the glare coming off that bright yellow & red. :)

      Delete