Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Trying not to knit

It's our family's first day back to school, homeschool that is, and I am jonesing to be knitting.  Frankly, I'm not sure why I'm not knitting because we sure aren't doing school.  We haven't received half our text books yet so while today was clearly marked "School!" in bright red ink on my calendar, it's kinda hard to accomplish much without the books.  But I'm also afraid I'll end up blowing off school for the entire year if I start knitting during school time.  So I jones.

As much as I want to knit though, I have to admit that I'm secretly happy to have an excuse not to.  I finished the bulk of my Wendy Knits Stacy Shawl and now have only the edging to complete.  There's nothing "only" about it though.  Ugh.  I hate edgings.  Zillions upon zillions of rows are fine.  I can knit a row and know I have a zillion more to go and be okay with it.  But knit-on edgings.... Good grief!  They seem to go on forever.  I knit for an extremely long time yesterday, long enough for Hubby to make a few snide comments on my lack of anything else, and I'm still not even half way across the top edge.  Good grief.  The edging is pretty though and I know I'll be pleased once I finish it.  If I finish it.  I was hoping to be able to wear this shawl next week, but at the rate I'm going, I'll be lucky to have it finished by Christmas.


It doesn't look like much at the moment, but spread out it's beautiful and once blocked, it will be gorgeous. It's also purple, not blue.  It always amazes me how colors change in photos. Everything else in that picture is the correct color, but not the shawl.

Hmm, maybe I could sneak a few rows of border stitches in while the kids are reading their government books.  You won't tell, will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment