Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Not bored yet

People keep telling me I'll get bored in my retirement but so far I find it's pretty exhausing!  A nice relaxed exhaustion, but exhausting all the same.

Mostly, I've been busy either knititng or floating in the pool.


My I'm Still Stranding scarf is coming along.  It's very addictive, but I do have to pay attention so I haven't had the opportunity to knit on it as much as I'd like.  It's definitely not a 'knit in the pool' project.

Actually, none of my projects are being knit in the pool.  I can't quite get the nerve up to try it.  I'm too scared of ruining good wool.  Maybe I should break out some cheap dish cloth cotton and some old plastic needles and give it a try.



I knit a hat with the intention of selling it, but Someone begged and pleaded for it.  Nana can't say no to Someone.

I've also been knitting several pairs of fingerless gloves and mittens to sell but I haven't taken photos.  I signed up to be a vendor for several fall craft fairs so I'm sort of in panic-knitting mode.


I found these removable pompom buttons on Amazon and they'll help the hat making go Much faster.  I despise sewing pompoms on.  But these are great.  You just pull the pom's elastic loop through the top of the hat and wrap it around the slots in the button.  When you're ready to remove the pom, just unhook the elastic loop.  Easy peasy!  I'm super happy I found these but I'm not linking to their sales page because I can't say much for the supplier.  The Amazon listing states 50 buttons plus an attaching "tool" (a crochet hook) but the first time I ordered them, they only sent 24 buttons and no hook. I was too lazy to drive all the way to the place to drop off a return so I decided to keep them despite not getting what I ordered.  I did leave a bad review though.  And then I decided to order them again to see what I got.  I used to "Order Again" button so I know I ordered the same thing and this time around, I received 50 buttons that are half the thickness of the first ones and they were in an unsealed ziplock bag and still no tool.  I could care less about the tool but after this experience, I'm not recommending the supplier.  The buttons themselves are great though so if you find yourself needing tons of pompom buttons....



Hayden is a blast to play with in the pool this year.  She's much more independent than last year and enjoys splashing and getting splashed, even in the face.  There have been a few brutal water gun battles already.


And of course we celebrated the 4th of July. The whole family spent the day in the pool while dinner cooked on the smoker.  Not long after we got out of the pool, a huge thunderstorm whipped through and then the sun popped back out in time for fireworks.  I was Very glad for the rain.  We're currently in drought conditions and I was more than a little worried about burning the county down with sparks from our fireworks.

And tomorrow.... I'm super excited for tomorrow.  A friend moved out of state during covid times and we didn't get to hug goodbye.  But now, she's moved back and we are getting together for the first time tomorrow. I can't wait!

Meanwhile, Happy Knitting!

4 comments:

  1. Your cowl is looking amazing! I can see how it wouldn't make for great pool knitting, though. I think you should see if you can find a small inflatable something-or-other that you could put your yarn in and float next to you. Seems like that would be a perfect set-up for a hat or dishcloth or something else small (you'd just want something that's not going to trail into the water).

    I can't get over how big your granddaughter is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really have thought about pool knitting but I also think I should probably have a few minutes a day where I'm not knitting. As for my granddaughter, she's growing like a weed! Four going on twenty. LOL

      Delete
  2. The only people who say they are bored in retirement must not be retired. I don't know how I ever held down a full time job. My days, weeks, months and years fly by.
    I do love that cowl. I'm itching for come colorwork but until I finish the gray blobs I'm not starting anything new.

    ReplyDelete