Tuesday, June 15, 2021

I'm back!

 I'm back!  I hope.  πŸ˜€

I really don't even know where or how to start explaining where I've been.  Honestly, I think I had a miniature nervous breakdown and I went to a pretty dark place for a while.  The mother-in-law's Alzheimer's got to be WAY more than I could handle.  We weren't safe with her and she wasn't safe with us.  We were all beyond burned out from trying to care for her but we were trapped and had no other option.  

If you've ever provided 24 hour, in-home care for an advanced Alzheimer's patient, you understand.  If you haven't, well, you'll never truly understand.  You just can't.  The life you lead caring for someone with Alzheimer's is just beyond description.  Things happen that are just incomprehensible.  Again, if you've 'been there, done that,' you'll understand.  If not, well, I sincerely hope you never do.

Anyway, we were finally able to get her into a very nice memory care facility back in May and I've been detoxing ever since.  And yes, detoxing pretty much means sitting on my butt, stitching.  I can't believe how much better I feel now.  I knew I was struggling before but I didn't realize just how badly until she was no longer in the house.  That sounds horrible but...

So, what happy things have been happening since I last posted?

I finished the Anisah shawl but never photographed it before putting it away for the summer.  I am happy to report that after a few soakings, the yarn stopped bleeding.  The shawl did loose a little color but I'm still very happy with it.


Hayden had her first birthday party.  She was so funny.  She had her own cake and was a little confused by it at first but once she realized she wasn't going to get scolded for making a mess and playing with her food... She Loved it!  All I can say is, I am SO glad the party wasn't at my house and I didn't have to clean up all that smashed cake!

Next, I finished an Adult Modular Cardigan.  No decent photos of that one either.  But despite the lack of photos, I LOVE this design!  It was so simple to knit even my stressed out/overwhelmed brain had no trouble with it.  The only hitch is that it's all garter stitch so when you are making one for my big size and really, it's more of a jacket than a cardigan, well, it's a LOT of garter.  But it was fantastic TV watching/reading, stress free knitting.  And the finished product fits perfectly And, the way the mitered square runs across my chest makes me look like I have some boobs.  Yay!

The next knitting project was a shawl with yarn from Organized Chaos.  Again, no photos.  We have a roof leak and it started raining IN my room.  I moved a bunch of stuff, including my mannequin wearing the finished shawl, into another non-rainy room and well, I keep forgetting it's there.  Out of sight, out of mind, you know.  But, Organized Chaos yarns are totally unforgettable.  If you aren't familiar with them, you should definitely check out her shop.  I'm not an affiliate or anything, just love Heather's yarns.  And to be honest, I met Heather at a trunk show and have been sort of fan-girling ever since.

I knit approximately 1,000 wash clothes and made almost as many potholders.


Okay, so maybe I didn't really make 1,000 but I made a lot.  Thank goodness I have an Etsy shop.

Remember making woven potholders on a plastic loom as a child?  Well, these are larger.  The finished potholder is more trivet sized at 8 - 8.5 inches.  I LOVE them!  And I can NOT stop making them!  The simplicity, the nostalgia, the improved loom construction and the pretty colors have been a huge help with my destressing process.  If you are looking for a new obsession, check out Harrisville Designs.  A word of warning for the craft-minded though...  They also sell yarn and weaving supplies.


Hayden LOVES riding on the back of her parents' bike.  I find it odd though because she HATES riding toys.  She screams bloody murder if you put her on her hobby or rocking horse, her baby tricycle or her little ride-on jeep thing.  Maybe she just feels safe behind Mom and Dad.


Remember the Christmas wreath needlepoint I did last year?  I started another.  And I'm almost finished!  I cannot believe how fast this project has gone.  Actually, I can because my arm is unbelievably sore from the repetitive motion of pulling the needle and thread through all those stitches.  How pathetic is it that my arm is sore, sore like I've done 500 reps of lifting 200 LB weights at the gym.  Not that I have any idea how sore I'd be from doing that.  But my arm is sore.  So sore I've begun having to not needlepoint every other day.  But I so desperately want to get this finished and checked off the list. By the way, if you are curious, I am once again using Palette yarns.  I can't get over how well Palette works for needlepointing and best of all, it's inexpensive and comes in every color imaginable.

And one last photo of Hayden...


We were at Red Lobster for dinner the other night and she got mad when she was told she couldn't have another crab cake.  She was good as gold though.  She never cried or fussed or squealed or did normal baby things that annoy the other diners.  But damn if she can't make herself understood with her facial expressions!

Well, that catches us up to a week or two ago.  Since this post has been so long, I think I'll save the last week or so of crafty happenings for the next post.

Speaking of next posts, I'm not sure when that will be.  I want to get back into a regular posting schedule but I'm still being gentle with myself.  Or maybe I'm making excuses to do nothing but sit on my butt and stitch all day.  That very well could be.  I have to admit, I have been very much enjoying my destressing process.  But Mike gave me six weeks to detox/destress and then I'm expected to look for a job. So, while I destress from the MIL, I am stressing over getting my Etsy shop back up and running. I'd pretty much abandoned it for a few years.  But, I would SO much prefer to be an Etsy seller rather than a worker-bee.  If you know anyone who needs a giant, 8" loom woven potholder, please, send them my way.  😁

Unitl next time, Happy Stitching!

12 comments:

  1. I am glad that you're doing okay now and think you've more than earned your detox time. Full-time care of someone with AD is no joke, so I hope that things are looking better now that your mother-in-law is being cared for by professionals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear what you have been through and you know I get it. I went through the same thing with my dad and I still have the emotional scars to prove it. I am watching my neighbors go through it right now with two of their parents-her mom and his dad and it's triggering such bad memories. It takes a lot of courage to admit you can't handle it and professional care is needed. It's the smart choice but it feels so terrible.
    The little one must bring you so much joy. I wish my Grands were closer. You need that circle of life to heal.
    The Mister loves making those potholders too. We have quite a pile and I love them. Harrisville loops are the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Your poor neighbors. I can not fathom dealing with 2 different parents in 2 different households at one time. Wow, just Wow! My heart goes out to them, and to you.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad to see that you're back and sharing your knitting and other crafty things with us. I'm sorry to hear that things got so bad with your MIL but glad that you finally were able to find the care that she needs at this point in all of your lives. We're just beginning the adventure. We have moved next door to my MIL who is in the beginning stages of dementia or alzheimers, one or the other. She is refusing to admit it and I'm going to have to take over her meds one way or another because she isn't taking very important anti-blood clotting medication.
    The pictures of Hayden are so cute. I'm glad that you're so close to her. We were able to see all three of our Grands this past weekend and I have no idea when we will see them again. It's been over a year and a half since last time.
    Take care and come visit again soon! :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Betsy, I'm so sorry for the struggle you are begining. Dementia is such a horrible disease. And more horrible for the family than for the patient I think. If your MIL is forgetting her meds, make sure she's not also forgetting other things... like turning the stove or water faucets off... They all seemed to go at the same time here. Good luck! I'll be praying for you all.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you are back and starting to feel like yourself again. I'm sorry you had to go through such a stressful time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad that you are back, and even happier that you can take some time to re-enter the universe on your own terms. That's what's most important. We'll see you again when we see you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you are in a better place!! Prayers you continue to destress towards a better you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. Had to laugh - your reply came through 3 times... And I seemed to have needed 3 sets of prayers. :) I got stung/bitten by 2 differnt bugs while on my walk this morning and once inside the house, while looking for anti-sting cream, I broke my flip-flop. Keep those prayers coming! :)
      I hope you and yours are doing well. I haven't been able to reply to your posts. It forces me to log in through Wordpress which I don't use have.

      Delete
  7. Oh wow! What a time you've had. Glad you are on the other side and back (you were missed). My Mom had dementia and it is no joke. Do take care and be easy on yourself. Love your potholders!!

    ReplyDelete