Friday, June 18, 2021

Catching Up

 Hey, look at me - two posts in one week!  WooHoo!

Are you a Gilmore Girls fan?  You know how Luke had a "Dark Day"?  I'm referring to my time away as my Dark Time.  And I'm still trying to catch you up on a few happenings.


While I was at Hobby Lobby buying yarn for all those wash/dish clothes I knit, I also picked up a few skeins of Yarn Bee's Sugarwheel Cotton.  The colorway is called Gourmet Garnish but I think it should be named Key West Waters.  Whatever its name, I adore the colors and knit myself a simple summer tank top with it.  I didn't use a pattern, I basically just knit rectangles and connected them.  Except something went wrong with the armholes and well, my boobs sort of hang out.  I need to fix that before I photograph it.  And sadly, the top has been tossed in the "you pissed me off" pile over in the corner.  One day....

I have to say, I was extremely happy with the Sugarwheel Cotton yarn.  I generally don't enjoy knitting with cotton but this stuff was wonderful to work with.  It comes in a bunch of different colors, both solids and self striping, it's incredibly soft, incredibly inexpensive, and I kinda want to go back and get more of every color.


One reason I have been able to get so much stitching done lately is because I'm not swimming.  Our pool pump died and the replacement is taking FOREVER to arrive.  I'm not overly stressed about it though because it keeps raining and thunder storming.  I think I may be enjoying hanging out under the deck's roof, snuggled up in a blanket and stitching while the wind blows and the cold rain falls more than I would be enjoying swimming!

Gasp!  Did I really just say that??  Yes, I did!  I think I may not be completely over my Dark Time yet because my mental state sure seems to still be affected!


Obviously I haven't gotten far, but I did cast on for a new shawl.  No pattern, just a simple triangular thing made with yarn over shaping on the edges and in the center.  I'm knitting it with I'm Here For It from Trilogy Yarns.  I bought the yarn with my birthday coupon from Center of the Yarniverse.  The moment I saw it, I new I had to knit with it.  The yarn is a merino/silk blend and the colorway reminds me of a very rusted red, white and blue metal sign.  I'm hoping I can finish the shawl in time to wear it on July 4th.  Not that I will wear it.  It's likely to be 100 degrees on July 4th.  But I'd like to be able to wear it if I wanted to.  But, if it doesn't get knit up in time, no big woop.  I'll get over my obsession with it looking like a rusty flag and think of it more as fall colored rusts and grays.  In whatever season I wear it, I love the colors and it's a dream to knit with.


We are still living in my my mother-in-law's house and when she moved into the memory care facility last month, her POA had our TV service disconnected and we haven't bothered to get our own service yet.  So we've been TV-less for over a month now.  It was extremely difficult at first but I've gotten used to it now.  Now, instead of watching TV at night, I watch this frog.  I sit, knitting, stitching or potholder-ing (that's a word, right??) at a table in front of a window and this frog - I swear it's the same one every night - hangs out on the window and catches the bugs that come to the light.  It can be very startling when he jumps and thuds into the window glass and the violence of it all is pretty much like watching TV.  


And while we're on the subject of nature at my window.... This dragonfly came for a visit the other day.  Normally we are overrun with brilliant green ones, but this year we have this type.  I've seen a few green ones, but no where near as many as these.  I wonder why that is.

Until next time, Happy Knitting!


11 comments:

  1. I hope the pool situation is fixed before too long, because for as much as you're enjoying stitching poolside now, I'm sure there will be some really hot days later in the summer when you'll want to sit in a cool pool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The new pump is due to arrive Monday. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  2. We are so lucky we have our crafting to get us through our dark days. This whole year has been a dark day for me and I confess to having had to seek professional help to get through it. The pandemic ignited health anxieties in me that I never knew I had. It's been a real struggle to stay afloat amid all the worry. I can't even imagine having to go through a real family crisis like you did and deal with covid at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The isolation was pretty bad! I completely lost touch with a few newish friends I'd had recently made before moving in with the MIL and 2 other close friends moved out of state and I didn't get to say goodbye. I feel like I need to start from scratch making friends.
      I'm so sorry you were struggling so badly. I hope you are feeling better now and I'm so glad you sought help. My doctor wanted me to go to counseling but I couldn't get away in order to go. Crafting was definitely my sanity saver. Hugs to you!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you're still relaxing and knitting. The projects are all lovely too. Love the frog. We have a TV in the new place but have never watched "real" TV on it. I have watched a few knitting videos on youtube.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised how much I don't miss TV now, although, my daughter and I have decided we'll need to have it turned back on this fall for hockey and Hallmark Christmas movies. :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been missed my friend. I am so glad to catch up with you but so, so sorry your time has been so difficult these past few months. Taking care of anyone elderly 24/7 with any type of medical issue is horrible but Alzheimer's puts it up near the top of the worst things to deal with. No wonder you were in a dark place, I think your brain just needed rest, like a lot of rest. I am so glad you are feeling a bit more like yourself. Again, you were missed. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't want to admit how long my current shawl has been on the needles! And I only need a few more repeats before I start the short row body, which will go so fast. But I dither and dather, that's a word right?, and get no work done on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine you've had other more important things to knit recently. :)

      Delete