Saturday, January 30, 2016

Knitting Polygamy

It's hard to make much visual progress when you practice knitting polygamy.

knitted cabled hat, hat with cable brim, https://www.etsy.com/shop/JeannieGrayKnits
Cabled brimmed Hat

The new design for a cable brimmed hat is coming along, albeit slowly.  The cabled band has been knit, stitches have been picked up and I'm working on the crown.

Hitchhiker scarf and 2 hats being hand knit https://www.etsy.com/shop/JeannieGrayKnits
Hitchhiker

The green, Stroll Tweed watch cap is another inch or so of ribbing further along and the Hitchhiker has 16 teeth and two not very noticeable errors.  One error is extremely minor - one tooth has an extra garter rib in it.  The other error is only noticeable when the teeth lay pointed to the left.  For reasons unknown, I switched from garter stitch to stockinette stitch for about 15 stitches in the center of a row, way back near the beginning.  As long as the teeth point to the right, you can't see the mistake at all and I'm okay with that.

knitted mitered square afghan blanket knit with sock yarn

And the mitered square afghan has quite a few more squares now.

Mentally, I'm struggling with having all these projects going at once.  Normally, I prefer to have only a Current Project and a simple, Stockinette in the Round project on the needles at one time.  I like to keep a simple stockinette project handy to work on while reading or in-the-dark movie watching, while the Current Project is the 'real' thing I'm knitting at the moment.  Last week's blizzard caused a bit of cabin fever, I'm afraid, and the result was a few too many projects going at once.  And now, I'm caught in that 'I can't decide which to work on' trap.  I'd like to finish the hats so I can list them in my Etsy shop, I want the Hitchhiker done so that I can wear it this season, and I want to work on the mitered squares afghan because it's fun, colorful and I'm using up scraps.  The result of that indecision is that I've been logging way more time playing computer solitaire than I have been knitting.

Ugh!  Knitting Polygamy.  It's a knitter's worst nightmare.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm always impressed with knitters. I love to crochet but haven't been brave enough to attempt knitting yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give knitting a try. There's plenty of Youtube videos to help get you started. I used to crochet but it started giving me horrible carpal tunnel problems. Now, I crochet 4 stitches & can't pick up a pencil for a week.

      Delete