Friday, December 19, 2014

Rum Balls

If I ever divorce my husband, you can pretty much guarantee it will be over his rum ball behavior.

Several years ago I stumbled across a recipe for bourbon balls that called to me.  I don't know why.  I wasn't a huge fan of bourbon balls.  I much prefer my bourbon straight, in liquid form.  But I got it in my head to make a batch to give as gifts.  I had everything I needed to make them on hand except the tins.  As my luck would have it, while I was at the tin store, dear husband & his buddy were at home drinking the bourbon.  And as things like that always happen in my household, I didn't discover the missing bourbon until I was elbow deep in all the other ingredients.

Standing there, peering into the bourbonless liquer cabinet, I caught sight of the Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum.  Hmm, it's the same color...  We have a full bottle....  It'll work.

Yes, I tend to cook by color.  If I'm missing an ingredient, something else of the same color should work, right?   (That might explain why we eat out a lot.)

It turns out, the Captain Morgan's makes a HUGE difference.  A huge, wonderful difference.



And that is why I may one day divorce my husband over rum balls.  I can not make them fast enough.  The folks I gave them to that first year have demanded I make them again each year.  And let me say, a few of those folks haven't been very subtle with their demands.  The rum balls are that good!

So every year, there I am, standing in the kitchen, making hundreds (literally!) of bourbon balls while my husband eats them.  Eventually,  he eats enough to either get a belly ache or a hangover & he wanders off.  Finally!  I fill the gift tins, clean up the mess, and mark "Rum Balls" off the to-do list while sipping the last of the rum.

And the next day, I find at least one open & empty gift tin.  I take one look at dear husband & yep, he's got a big, guilty grin and powdered sugar on his face.



2 comments:

  1. Now to find the perfect hiding place for them after you make them....in your office, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between Mike & the dogs, there is no safe hiding place.

      Delete