Friday, August 9, 2024

Deby

I hope that all of you in Deby's path made it through safely.  I love LOVE a good storm and well, Deby was a bit of a let down here.  I didn't even break out a single bottle of hurricane booze, nor did I eat all my hurricane snacks.


I spent Thursday, day one of Deby here in Virginia, knitting outside.  I am SO thankful for our covered porch. I absolutely love sitting outside when it's raining.  Thursday's rain was straight down rain with no wind so it was perfect for deck sitting. 

While I knit and watched it rain, I also read The Last One by Will Dean.  O. M. G.!  If you like psychological horror, it's a must read. A MUST read! There's nothing jumping out at you, there are no ghosts or bogeymen, but it is absolutely terrifying and I couldn't put it down.  Best book I've read in a long time. (And no, I'm not an affiliate, I just really, really liked the book.)


We did end up loosing one small, dead tree in the storm.  Other than being dead, I have no idea why it fell.  We never had any wind.  And oddly, the big, giant dead tree that leans a little more each day is still standing.  Other than putting a dent in our yard, the big one is located in a spot where it won't cause any property damage when it falls so we keep waiting for a storm to take it out instead of having to pay a fortune to have it cut down.  Maybe in the next storm....


I finished the hat I was knitting and added two pompoms.  And now, we just wait for the last tendrils of Deby to pass by tonight and pray that all of the flooding to the west of us stays to the west of us and doesn't flow downstream and flood us tomorrow.  That's what happened during Gaston, a storm that passed through in August twenty years ago and caused major flooding the next day due to the runoff.  Fingers crossed.

Happy knitting!

2 comments:

  1. So Debby was a downer for you, eh? We got a little bit of rain, but most of it ended up staying east of us. It did, however, move the humidity out of here, so it's much more comfortable this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't get as much rain as I had hoped. We really could have used it. What we got was flooding from the high tide. What a muddy mess the town is. We're a few blocks back so we're fine.
    I hear you about the trees. We need to have a bunch cut down but it would cost us a fortune. I just hope when they come down they won't hit the house. Our neighbors (and my Mini) have not been so lucky.
    Your pom pom hat is adorable! What is it about pom poms that ups the cutenest factor so high?

    ReplyDelete