Monday, June 18, 2018

Makers' Monday

With no other plan than 'a cowl with some super simple lacy bits on the edges and a bunch of stockinette in the center,' I cast on an unknown number of stitches while hanging out in the waiting room of the local tire shop the other day.  It was a day for living dangerously.  Just like making the decision not to put air in the slowly flattening tire before driving to the tire shop, I didn't bother with gauge or even a stitch count.  I just cast on stitches until I couldn't stand it anymore and the Need to begin knitting took over.


Casting on

Then I came home and finished my So Faded sweater.  Yes! You heard that right.  I finally finished it!

finished knitting my So Faded sweater with Knit Picks Hawthorne yarn
So Faded Sweater

Okay, okay.  I finished the knitting.  There's still the matter of a few loose ends to deal with and it needs a bit of blocking.  But I finished the knitting and it fits perfectly.  I should clarify - it fits me perfectly.  My mannequin is slightly petite with weirdly pointy boobs.  I am the exact opposite.

And I'd like to add that So Faded is officially my new favorite basic sweater pattern.  There was no sewing up involved.  None at all!  And the neck line is brilliant!  There are short rows, well, not really - just extra rows, on the back that help the front lay flat instead of doing that weird bunching up around the neck/across the collar bone thing that so many raglands do.  Oh and the cuffs were an inch of ribbing instead of three or four. 

Yep, this is definitely my new favorite sweater pattern!  And the sweater deserves a much nicer photo but I'm working with the little bit of time I have.  A hastily snapped cellphone picture in front of a mountain of unorganized junk will have to do.

simple knit cowl with lace and stockinette stitch
Blue Heron Metallic Cowl

As soon as I cast off So Faded, I went back to knitting the Blue Heron Metallic cowl.  The yarn is slightly splitty but I'm loving it's sparkle!  Assuming that my living dangerously method of casting on produces a circle long enough to wrap around my neck twice (and it looks like it will) I think this cowl will be perfect for indoor/outdoor wear on our milder winter and/or over air conditioned summer days.

That photo has me stumped though.  The project bag is showing up with the exact correct color, the knitted yarn is almost exact, but the yarn bowl....  In the photo, the yarn bowl looks like it's been left out in the weather for about 15 years.  In reality, its wood has a much warmer and polished-to-a-shine tone.  Weird. 

I wish I knew more about photography.  I really should take a class.

6 comments:

  1. LOVE your sweater! That turned out beautiful. And your new cowl looks really nice too. Is there a bit of metallic in the yarn to make it sparkly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm very pleased with the sweater and yes, there is sparkly metallic in the cowl yarn. I'm not normally into sparkle but I LOVE this yarn!

      Delete
  2. Yippee!!! It is gorgeous! I can't even choose a fav color in all those yarns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The sleeve color, Arleta, is still my favorite. It reminds me of both summer berries and fall leaves.

      Delete
  3. Love your sweater very much and the colors! I'm onto a cowl too but I'm planning another big knit, maybe a blanket or a sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your So Faded Sweater is fabulous. Those colors are just gorgeous. They play together extremely well.
    How awesome that it fits perfectly!
    I'd like to make one, but I am very sensitive to wool , and you really do need to knit this pattern from wool. Maybe I could just wear a shirt under the the sweater?

    ReplyDelete