Thursday, May 18, 2017

SOS

I'm feeling a bit like I'm on a sinking ship these days.

a hand knit, beaded lace shawl
Annis Shawl

I finished my Annis shawl last night . Do you notice anything odd about it?  Anything odd other than it's loose ends still hanging from it?

Annis shawl knit with Stroll Tonal from Knit Picks
That'll block right out.

It's a little on the small side.  Obviously I didn't knit to the proper gauge.  Honestly, I never checked my gauge.  It's a shawl.  It doesn't have to fit.  Besides, the pattern called for lace weight yarn and I used fingering and a needle appropriately slightly too large for the yarn.   Big, massive mistake apparently.


beaded shawl knit with Knit Picks stroll tonal in Train Station colorway
Train Station

I thought about frogging it and starting over but.... I love the dark, smokiness of the knitted fabric and I really, really don't want to deal with all those beads coming loose so....  I'm thinking I might sew the ends together and call it a decorative cowl.  But then.... maybe, just maybe the magic of blocking will stretch that baby out.

And then there's the grapes.

Grape vines have smothered the garden gate.

Do you notice what's behind the grapes?  Yep, our garden gate.  Dammit!  Someone forgot to trim the grape vines back this spring.

A collection of lace weight yarn from Knit Picks
Shipwreck

And last but not least, Shipwreck.  Shipwreck is a collection of Gloss Lace from Knit Picks that I bought as a birthday present to myself.  Between my love of all things nautical and my tendency to sink any boat I board, I thought it was an appropriate gift.  Now, if I could just decide what to knit with it.  Suggestions are welcome.

2 comments:

  1. I ripped out a shawl that was bottom up (not my favorite way to make a shawl) and it came out way way way too small. I had no problems ripping! Love the colors of your shipwreck. Happy birthday and can't wait to see what you knit with it.

    ReplyDelete