Thursday, September 18, 2014

Throwback Thursday - Bad hair days

Have I ever mentioned I have bad hair?  It's crazy thick, grows straight on parts of my head & curly on others.  It's even multiple colors.  Most of my hair is brown, or at least it was in my youth.  But there are splotches of blond.  And by "splotches," I mean it looks like someone splattered bleach on my head.  These days, gray is added to the mix (although I still prefer to tell myself it's white blond) and my hair is just a complete disaster.  I'm used to it though.  My hair has always been a disaster.  See?

Not only was it crazy thick, curly in places & straight in others as a toddler, but to add a bit more humiliation into the mix, my mom cut it herself.  With pinking shears.  No lie!  Pinking shears!

I knit myself a hat to cover up the bad hair.  It turned out to be a bad hat.


Do you see it?  That weird line running around the hat?  Sadly, it's not a weird light effect.  The broken rib pattern is broken.  You'd think I'd know my purls from my knits by now but alas....

I knit this hat while at work one day.  It was a very slow day work wise.


Have I mentioned how much I love my job?  How I get to play with money all day and if things are slow & there's no money to count, I can knit?  Right there, at my desk, in front of the boss!  It's fabulous.  As much as I complain about (1) having to go to work, (2) the hours,  (3) the uniform...., I really do love the job.  I just wish I loved to block knitting.  That hat obviously needs a good blocking.


I also knit this striped scarf.  It's shades of browns, grays & creams.  I love how the garter stitch blends the colors.  It reminds me of the granite stone lining our driveway.

Next, I knit an autumn colored cowl.


I LOVE the colors in this yarn, but that's about the only thing about this project that I loved.  The lace pattern was a simple 4 row repeat but somehow I kept getting my rows confused.  It may have had something to do with the fact that my daughter introduced me to a new series on Netflix.  Have you watched From Dusk till Dawn?  I suggest you don't if you are knitting "simple" lace that you don't have to pay a lot of attention to, because you won't.  On top of the lace issues, the yarn was super splitty (it was an unspun type of yarn & I was using very pointy lace needles which may have caused the splittiness) and the bind off was too tight.  All in all, it wasn't a very happy knit, but I do love the colors!

After the autumn colored lace fiasco, I went back to the left over brown, gray & cream yarns.


I had quite a bit of yarn left over after finishing the scarf & it just seemed easier to knit something else with the leftovers than to put them away.  I am definitely in lazy knitting mode these days.

Well, that pretty much sums up the knitting I've been doing  over the last couple of weeks.  Now, I'm off to see if I can't do something with my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment