Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Benefits of being sick

I've discovered a few benefits to last week's illness and I'm pretty excited by them.  If you'd asked me last week while I lay dying on the couch, or at least wishing for death, I'd have said there were absolutely no benefits to being sick.  But this week...

  • My medicine cabinet has miraculously been cleaned out.  All the old, expired medicines are gone as well as the many, many bottles & boxes that contained only one or two doses of various cough, cold & flu meds.
  • I didn't spend a dime on groceries.
  • I didn't spend a dime on yarn.
  • I didn't spend a dime on new books for the Kindle.
  • My refrigerator is now even emptier than the medicine chest & is ready & waiting to be wiped clean. 
  • Since I ate nothing but watermelon & ginger ale for six days straight, I lost seven pounds.
  • Since I ate nothing but watermelon & ginger ale for six days straight, I kicked the '3 deserts a night' habit.
  • Since I ate nothing but watermelon & ginger ale for six days straight, I kicked the processed foods habit.
  • Since I didn't have the strength or mental power to knit during several of those six days, I lay on the couch pretending to watch TV.  Since the only choice daytime TV offers you is cooking shows or shopping opportunities, I watched a lot of cooking.
  • Since I watched so many cooking shows, I have a lot of ideas for new, healthy meals to make.
  • Since I didn't spend any money on groceries, yarn or books last week, I was able to replace our broken food processor this week.
  • Now that I have a new food processor, I'm dying to get in the kitchen and chop something.
  • Since I didn't spend any money on groceries, yarn or books last week, I had extra money in the budget this week for yarn.  (Notice I said "had", not "have.")
  • I also had extra money so I could go ahead & order the kids' end of year homeschool tests.  One less thing on my to-do list.
  • During one of those cooking shows, Rachel Ray taught me to make my own tinted moisturizer.  Since I don't have to buy my normal expensive tinted moisturizer this week (it just happened that I was running out) I can spend the money instead on taking my daughter to the movies.
  • Because my memory is pitiful, I no longer have the 40 gazillion craft project ideas running through my head.  This means that I can focus on the current projects and maybe actually finish one of them.
  • Since I didn't knit for several days, my fingers, hands and wrists are ready to rock the needles.  Which is a damn good thing since I have a bit of yarn coming via UPS (see above.)
  • Since the yarn is all coming UPS, I have a day or two to cook all those healthy meals I've been thinking about.
Now, if I only had some food in the house to cook.....

No comments:

Post a Comment