Monday, May 14, 2012

Some Things Never Change

Some things never change, like my shirt.  Good grief!

So, today is my birthday.  It's one of those BIG birthdays, one of the ones where everyone sends black balloons & the number ends in a zero.  One of the ones where, as a special birthday gift from the government, you get to deal with DMV and renew your driver's license.  Thank God for on-line renewal!  Specially since I thought my old license expired on the 31st, not on my actual birthday.  Luckily, I've been working on my procrastination problem lately & I logged in to DMV this past Thursday.  Saturday, my new license arrived in the mail.  And since they used the same photo as the last license, I'm wearing the same shirt.  The same shirt I was oddly wearing for the license before that one!   This means my drivers license will show me wearing the exact same shirt for 15 years in a row!   Good grief!

Oh, & I thought the colored version of my driver's license photo was bad.  You should see the new black & white version.  It's down right scary!  Oh well, at least I am well past the age of being carded & rarely have to show ID anymore.

In knitting news, I've been making slow progress on the Bigger on the Inside shawl.  I finished the lace area & have started the Tardis section but I've only gotten a few rows into it.  It's my family's fault I'm not further along.  God bless them!  They gave me a new season of Supernatural for Mother's Day & quiet time to watch the DVDs.  It was a true gift!  But, I quickly realized that I can't watch new episodes & continuously count stitches.  I promptly tossed the shawl aside & cast on a new one in a much simpler pattern.



And, Friday night I was at the bowling alley waiting for Zack to bowl and trying to knit on the Bigger on the Inside shawl.  The dark bowling alley & the dark blue yarn I'm using weren't compatible with my aging eyes & I had to put down the shawl.  Luckily, I had some spare yarn & needles in my bag so I cast on a pair of mittens.

Obviously, the knitter's ADD continues.

Since today is my birthday, I'd like to take a moment to remember my parents & to thank them for birthing & raising me.  I know I didn't always make it an easy or enjoyable task.  Personally, I've always thought it was odd that the child receives the birthday gifts & acknowledgement, not the parents.  Don't get me wrong - I love gifts.  Bring 'em on!  But wouldn't it make more sense to celebrate the parents for bringing the child into the world & for raising him/her in a manner that allows the child to survive another year?  Anyway, thanks Mom & Dad for having me, and keeping me all those years!




No comments:

Post a Comment