Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Never Block Before Coffee

Doh!  I should know better than to try to block something before the first cup of coffee.

The Sausalito that wanted so badly to be a shawl turned itself into a fine shawlette.  I got pretty nervous while binding off.  I ended up with 6 inches of yarn left over.  SIX!  Six inches.  That was cutting it pretty dang close.  But the yarn new it's own mind and told me it would be okay and that I should continue binding off while my hands got slipperier and slipperier with nervous sweat.  That was around 2:00 a.m. this morning.

Around 7:00 a.m., before I'd had my first full cup of coffee, I began the blocking process.  The final increase row and the bind off row combined themselves to create a tiny little ruffled edge.  When beginning the bind off, I thought it might look pretty strange, but half way across, I decided it was a cute teeny-tiny ruffled edge that I liked very much.  So, I didn't think much about it when I encountered the  ruffled edge while blocking.  Blocking it into a nice, larger than expected, triangle.

Around 9:15 a.m., it suddenly dawned on me.  The shawlette was knit to be a semi-circle.  Not a triangle.  No wonder the edge was so ruffly during the blocking.  Doh!

1 comment:

  1. I have no earthly idea what you are talking about......I take it a "bad thing" happened. Can you fix it? OF COURSE YOU CAN!

    ReplyDelete