Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Ocean Stripes

So, I've been calling this one Ocean Stripes.

Garter stitch shawl knit with Palette from Knit Picks
Ocean Stripes

The colors remind me of swimming in the warm waters of the Gulf.

It's a work in progress.  I hope it to be shawl depth but we'll see how the yarn holds out.  I should have plenty.
shawl scarf knit with 14 skeins of Palette from Knit Picks
14 shades of Palette


The shawl is super simple to knit but not very portable.  It's all garter stitch with built-in fringe.  The fringe may get cut off to make way for a knitted border on each end.  We'll see how it goes.

As for the stripes, I ordered 14 colors of Palette from Knit Picks.  I simply used their paper catalog & went down the list of greens.  As for the knitting, I have two buckets and I take a skein out of one bucket, knit a row, cut the yarn & toss it into bucket #2.  When Bucket #1 is empty, I 'stir' the yarns around in bucket #2 and reverse the process.  I try very, very hard to blindly grab a skein each time & to not choose a favorite color or one I think would look good next to the previous.  The idea is for the stripes to be completely random.

Frixion Erasable Highlighters

Meanwhile, my Frixion erasable highlighters finally arrived.  It took almost two months for the highlighters to arrive from Japan.  Waiting for them has been killing me!  About three weeks after ordering them, I discovered that Michaels had started selling them.  I was a good girl though and waited, somewhat patiently, for my overseas order.  I'm glad I waited.  The colors are gorgeous!  Just look at that pastel aqua.  My erasable highlighters coordinate with my knitting!  And they actually erase!!  How cool is that?

13 comments:

  1. I love the combo of your colors. But how can you stand to be so random!!! I am much too OCD for that. That's why scrap fabric projects undo me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The randomness works for me. Decisions freak me out & if I had to choose a stripe sequence in advance, I'd end up in a rubber room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My jaw dropped at the erasable highlighters!!! A new teacher toy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are awesome! The colors are pastel but bright and they actually erase! Even days later, they erase!

      Delete
  4. I love your bucket method and those stripes are absolutely beautiful! I'm looking forward to seeing more ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a super simple, but slow to progress pattern so I'm sure it will be hanging out here on the blog for a while.

      Delete
  5. Your shawl is gorgeous so far!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in love with your Ocean Stripes. What a brilliant idea! And I love the two-basket system.

    How many stitches did you cast on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I cast on 450-ish (I didn't verify my count) on #2 needles.

      Delete
  7. Your ocean stripes shawl is looking amazing so far! I love the color combination. That is excited your highlighters have arrived! hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the colours and the randomness is working beautifully

    ReplyDelete