Monday, November 23, 2015

Giving Thanks, Day 23

Today I'm thankful for my family, specially my sister.

Playing dolls

Even though she's ten years older, growing up, she always took the time to play with me.  I also got some great hand-me-down dolls from her.  Based on their hairstyles alone, you can tell those dolls were well loved.  Perhaps not treated well, but well loved.

Cary & I at Radford University
First day of college

She helped ship me off to college.  And that was more help than you know.  I was one-armed due to a shoulder injury from playing way too much corner tag in the pool.  Have you ever played corner tag?  It's brutal!

bridesmaid dress gone wrong
Peach taffeta

She even wore that peach monstrosity of a bridesmaid dress for me without complaint.  Well, not too much complaint.  But I'll cut her some slack on that because, well, who wouldn't have complained about wearing that peach monstrosity?  Good Lord!

But around the holidays, I become more thankful than ever for my sister.  And do you know why?  It's because, being ten years older, she always hosts the family gatherings.  Family gatherings like Thanksgiving.  So while I'm here, boozing it up over not being able to locate a bag of pecans, she's at her house, scrubbing and polishing and wrangling a giant turkey and fifty other side dishes.  Thank you, Cary!  I am forever grateful for having you as my sister.

Meanwhile, in knitting world, I finished the faux cabled hat from yesterday and started this simple striped hat.

hand knit hat available at https://www.etsy.com/shop/JeannieGrayKnits
Blue Stripes

The yarn is Patons Kroy Socks in the Singing the Blues colorway.  Have I mentioned how much I love Patons Kroy Socks yarn?  (And no, that's not a type-o/grammar thing.  It's an official name thing.)  For local, pick it up at the big box craft store yarn, Patons Kroy can't be beat!

And now, I'm off to go in search of pecans.  I really need pecans and I will not be denied!

No comments:

Post a Comment