Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Blaze orange & the Babadook

It may not be actual blaze orange, but it's definitely bright.

cabled knit hat https://www.etsy.com/shop/JeannieGrayKnits
#todayonmyneedles
And it was a lot of fun to knit.

I came up with the design after watching Hinterland on Netflix.  The show takes place in chilly Wales and the detective was wearing a similar (but boring brown) hat throughout the series.

The hat is knit with the wool I dyed last week.  I love the slight variations in color and the tiny flecks of white that are a result of the yarn being tied too tightly during the dye bath.  I also love the pompom.  Generally, I don't like wearing hats with pompoms.  They wiggle & the motion irritates me.  I've always despised making pompoms but I recently broke down and bought a pompom maker and now I'm slightly obsessed with making them.  At the time, I thought I was nuts to spend $6 on a pair of plastic pompom makers, but I'm glad I did.  They work SO much better than cardboard circles.

And since we were speaking of Netflix.....  Have you seen Babadook?  Holy Moly!  My daughter recommended it.  She says it's her new favorite movie.  So I watched it last night while I finished up the blaze orange hat.  Holy sh*t!  Twelve hours later & my heart is still racing.  At one point in the movie, I jumped so badly that I stabbed myself with the cable needle and drew blood!  Drew blood with a cable needle!  Not a pointy lace knitting needle, but a blunt tipped, wooden cable needle.  Holy smokes!

And can I say, I'm not even comfortable typing the word, "Babadook."  Good grief!

And speaking of movies.... Sarah & I have a date this afternoon to go see the newest Avengers movie.  I'm oddly excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment