Friday, January 2, 2015

Challenge Accepted

I'm cursing & sending heart felt Thank You!'s to fellow blogger, Knitting Sarah.  I'm cursing because her challenge is going to be impossible for me.  I'm jumping up and down screaming Thank You! because her challenge just may be the answer to my prayers.

For the non-knitters out there, a KAL is a "knit along" where people join up & everyone in the group knits some prearranged item & shares their progress with each other.  The item could be a specific sweater pattern or a specific type of item like hats or it could even be related to a TV series of some kind where participants have items they only work on while watching the show.   KALs are many & varied.

So, why am I explaining a KAL?  Knitting Sarah has run a year long KAL for the past several years.  I've never participated, mainly because I just discovered her blog recently.  This year, her KAL is a little different.  Instead of the participants knitting a specific thing, the challenge is to post an OTN (on the needles) picture daily in 2015.

Daily!  That's what has me nervous.  I have a hard enough time remembering to photo my knitting a few times a week.  But that's part of why I'm jumping up & down screaming Thank You, Sarah!  The challenge is going to force me to do several things I've been wanting to do.  First, it will get me in the habit of blogging daily, even if the post is simply a photo with the challenge's #todayonmyneedles hashtag.

Secondly, I imagine many of the photos will be taken on the fly with my phone.  My phone is not smart, in fact, it's dumb as a box of rocks and the camera is not great.  Posting not great photos taken with my phone will get me over the perfection fear I have about my photos.  And yes, I realize that fear is pretty silly since my photos are horrid.  I know nothing about photography & I know it.

Third, (thirdly??) posting a photo every single day for a year just may make me learn to use my camera and maybe even learn a little bit about setting up a decent backdrop for the photo.  This challenge may force me to read the Beginner's Photography book I bought & have been ignoring.

Fourth (fourthly??) the challenge may prod me along when I get bullheaded about a project & don't want to finish it.  Not that that ever happens.  No, of course I don't have a huge, giant pile of UFO's (unfinished objects.)  Nope, not me!

Can you say, "Liar, liar, pants on fire?"

#todayonmyneedles 1/1/15

Actually, the challenge already helped me not be so bullheaded.  I've been dragging my feet on these Cape Cod mitts.  After reading Knitting Sarah's challenge yesterday afternoon, and deciding to accept the challenge, I figured I better knit a few rows on those mitts so there'd be some progress to show since the last photo of them.  So, I knit a few rows, snapped the picture (with my bad phone camera, sorry!) and finished knitting them!  Thank you, Sarah, for the motivation!

Going down a totally different rabbit hole....  What is it with me & the people in my life all having the same name?  There's Knitting Sarah & my daughter is a Sarah.  My husband is Mike & my nephew, also named Mike married a Sara.  (She spells it wrong though.)  I have three friends named Margaret.  Sadly, they've all moved away, but at one point, I had four close friends named Karen.  My husband renamed them Sewing Machine Karen (I met her when she bought my sewing machine,) Walker Karen (she walked her dog past our house several times a day,) Crazy Karen (the name pretty much says it all,) and Dope Smoker Karen (because the name "Crazy Karen" was already taken.)

Okay, back to knitting.... So, what's today's #todayonmyneedles photo?


A striped scarf knit with acrylic yarn.  I'm not a fan and almost never knit with acrylic but this stuff isn't bad.  I'll give you yarn details later since this post has already become a novel.


No comments:

Post a Comment