Friday, October 24, 2014

How to make a bologna sandwich

Happy National Bologna Day!



I'm not a picky eater but there is only one way to properly make a bologna sandwich.  First, you need cheap, white, store-bought bread.  No wheat, no homemade, no fancy bread will do.  Next, you slather on mayonnaise (Hellman's of course) on one piece of bread then you wipe your spreader off on the other piece of bread.  Next, a dab of mustard (spicy brown is best but yellow will suffice) on the slice of bread that got the left over mayo wiped on it.  Then, a slice of American cheese goes on the slathered mayo slice of bread while the bologna goes on the slice with the mustard.  If you get that backwards & accidently let the cheese touch the mustard, you must feed it to the dogs & start over with fresh, untainted ingredients.  When you have the cheese laying on the mayo & the bologna laying on the mustard, you put the two together, slice it diagonally (because everyone knows that sandwiches cut straight across the center taste funny) and enjoy!  And that's how to properly make a bologna sandwich.


In knitting news, I started the Eclipse shawl last night.  After casting on the required 400 stitches in the main color then realizing I was supposed to have used the contrasting color....  I decided to copy the pattern into my knitting journal using two different colored pens, each representing a yarn color.     I think this is going to be a tremendous help in keeping me straight on when to change colors.  (I might have a slight problem with paying attention to details like "change to CC.")

Anyhow, despite the rough start, I'm loving Eclipse.  Other than a little bit of counting (that you can do in advance & all at once & use stitch markers to keep up with) the shawl is basically mindless garter stitch.  It's a great project for scary, Halloween-is-coming type movie watching.

I think I love my choice of yarns as well as the pattern.  I know I love the yarn itself, I'm just not 100% sure about the colors I chose.  The yarn is Unplanned Peacock's superwash meriono Peacock Sock in the Lichen & Ferrum colorways.  I bought the yarn (& pattern) at the Montpelier Fiber Festival and in the shade of the tent, the Lichen was a much grayer green.  The grayish green & burgundy red were slightly Christmasy but more Autumn-ish than Christmasy.  At home, in bright sun, there's no Autumn about them.  They scream, "I'm a Christmas wrap."  But then, by evening, the two colors are back to showing off their autumn hues.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the final product won't look too Christmasy to wear anytime other than December.

1 comment:

  1. Two things:
    1) Bologna sandwiches are made with Miracle Whip, not mayo, and no mustard, but the rest you got right!
    2) In the photo the colors look very fall to me. And besides, you can always tell the shawl to shut up and quit screaming!

    How fun that you can knit AND read or watch TV. I have not mastered doing genealogy and anything else. I guess I need to practice more!

    ReplyDelete