Thursday, March 27, 2014

Nerves & knitting

I need heavy doses of Valium knitting today.  Knitting has always calmed me so today I am knitting.  Knitting frantically.  Knitting like my life depends on it.  Or, knitting like my son's life depends on it.  Why?  Because he finally got his driver's license yesterday.  Today, for his first solo trip, he's going to the bank, to the gas station then on to work.  Work is 42 miles away.  He doesn't get off work until 1:00 or 1:30 in the morning & will have to drive himself home.  Drive himself back home down those long, lonely 42 miles of darkened highway.

What have we done?  How did we allow him to pull out of the driveway alone?  My heart is jumping out of my chest & my husband has already started to drink.  How on earth do parents survive this?  Mike keeps reminding me that all the other parents out there have gone through the same thing and they've all survived, kids & parents alike.  But he forgets.  Our kid is much more special than those other kids and we love him more than other parents love their kids.  I need Valium and yarn.  Heavy, heavy doses of yarn.

One benefit to this total freak out I'm experiencing is that I may actually crank out the remaining million rows on a gazillion stitches of my pi shawl.  Or, my heart will stutter & my hands will shake & I'll drop all gazillion stitches off the needles.  Either way, I will be done with this shawl.

And I'm taking a deep breath.  I just received the text that the boy has finished at the bank & is moving on to the gas station.  He's still alive!  I'm going to go knit another row to celebrate.


Wow.  That photo is just wrong.  It's Magenta (one of the new mannequins) modeling the pi shawl, but it looks like a giant boob.  Not a great modeling job, but have you ever tried to take a picture of a gazillion rows of a gazillion stitches on circular needles?  It's not easy to show the progress being made.

And by the way, I'm loving the new camera except, look how small the picture is.  I need to figure out how to change that.  The camera is incredibly easy to use but the photo editing program is not.  Or maybe I should break down & read the manual.

No comments:

Post a Comment